Pork sausages banh mi style
There’s nothing like a sausage sandwich straight off the barbecue – it’s a true summer staple. But if you want to take it up a notch, why not try this Vietnamese-inspired version? With pickled carrot, chilli and coriander, you won’t be able to stop at just one.
- 4 pork sausages4 bread rolls
- ¼ cup sweet chilli mayonnaise (or use Pams Classic Mayonnaise and Sweet Chilli Sauce)
- 1 small cucumber, cut into long strips
- 1 large red chilli, thinly sliced
- Coriander and mint sprigs, to serve
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup Pams Caster Sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- To prepare the pickled carrot, place the rice vinegar, caster sugar, fish sauce and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Place the julienned carrot into a bowl and pour over the cooled vinegar mixture. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Cook the sausages on a preheated barbecue or chargrill pan over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through and golden. Cut the bread rolls lengthwise until almost cut through. Lightly grill the cut surface for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly charred.
- Drain the pickled carrot. To serve, spread the cut surfaces of the bread rolls with sweet chilli mayonnaise or mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce. Add a sausage, some pickled carrot and two cucumber strips. Top with the chilli, coriander and mint sprigs.