- 6 large potatoes suitable for frying (scrubbed)
- 4 large fish fillets
- Alfa One Rice Bran Oil
- Tartare Sauce:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- ½ cup Alfa One Rice Bran Oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained capers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped gherkins
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Beer Batter:
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ½ cup cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Hansells Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup good flavoured beer
- Mix the egg yolk, vinegar and mustard together in a food processor or bowl. With the food processor motor running, slowly add the oil in a thin steady stream until the mixture is thick, or slowly whisk the oil in if not using a food processor.
- Mix the mayonnaise, capers, onions, gherkins and lemon juice together. Set aside until required
- Mix the rice flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat the egg white until soft peaks form.
- Mix the beer into the dry ingredients until smooth then fold in the egg white until combined.
- Cut the potatoes into 1cm wide chips. Cut the fish into serving sized pieces.
- Heat enough Alfa One Rice Bran Oil to cover the food being cooked in a deep pan until it starts to shimmer.
- Dip the chips into the batter, draining off excess batter. Cook in the hot oil until golden and tender, taking care as you put them into the oil that the oil does not bubble up over the sides of the pan. Keep warm while cooking the fish.
- Dip the fish into the batter to coat each piece. Drop into the hot oil and cook until golden and cooked. The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish.
Serve up with a big dollop of tartare sauce, a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of salt.