- 3 cup orange-fleshed kumara, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chives or parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- oil for pan frying
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a shallow baking dish with baking paper.
- Squeeze the grated kumara and carrot to extract excess moisture; place in a large bowl with the spring onion and dill.
- Whisk the egg, cornflour, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add to the vegetables.
- Heat sufficient oil to cover the bottom of a large frying pan. Divide the mixture evenly into 8 and press firmly (don't go lightly), to make a fritter about 1cm thick.
- Cook 4 at a time in the hot oil, using a spatula to press down on the fritters as they cook. Turn once they are golden brown and cook on the other side - only until brown. Transfer the fritters to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Serve warm with smoked fish, a dollop of sour cream and top with a little watercress or other small green leaves.