- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 savoury pastry shells
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 150g feta cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves + extra to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frypan over low heat. Add the onions and a good pinch of salt and cook slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
2. When the onions are soft and starting to turn a light golden brown, add the balsamic and sugar. Continue to cook over a low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelised.
3. Stir through a small handful of thyme leaves and remove from heat. Season with black pepper and set aside.
4. To prepare the tarts, place the empty cases out on a work surface. Using 2 teaspoons, almost fill the cases with some caramelised onion. Top each tart with tomato pieces and a good crumble of feta cheese.
5. Finish with a sprinkle of thyme leaves and set on a platter to serve.