Ham, cheese and courgette muffins
It’s hard to go past a good muffin, they are a perfect hand-held snack. These ones are filled with ham and cheese (which kids love) and I’ve snuck in some grated courgette and carrot to make them healthy and delicious. Topped with a few sunflower seeds, these muffins are sure to please.
- Lunch box
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 carrot (approx. 125 grams)
- 1 courgette (approx. 125 grams)
- 150 grams ham, finely chopped
- 50 grams feta cheese, crumbled
- 100 grams grated Colby cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
- Put the eggs, milk and oil in a large bowl and whisk until fully combined. Sift in the flour and fold into the mixture until it is completely incorporated.
- Grate the courgette and carrot onto a clean tea towel then gather the edges together and squeeze out the excess moisture. Add this to the base mixture along with the ham, feta, Colby cheese and lemon zest and mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases. Top each one with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 4 days.