Crispy golden mac 'n' cheese bites
These delicious bites take mac ‘n’ cheese to the next level. Easy, cheesy, and absolutely full of flavour, they make the perfect snack for game day.
View the method
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1¾ cups milk
- 1½ cups grated tasty cheese
- 1½ cups macaroni
- Flour, for coating
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups vegetable oil, approximately, for frying
- Sweet chilli chutney, to serve
Back to ingredients
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Add the mustard powder. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to packet directions. Drain well, then stir into the cheese sauce to coat. Pour into a shallow dish and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Using a spoon, shape the chilled mac ‘n’ cheese into walnut-sized balls.
- Coat each ball in flour, then dip in the beaten egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Transfer to a tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat. Test the oil with a piece of bread – a small piece should go golden in 20 seconds on each side. Cook the mac ‘n’ cheese bites in batches for 3-4 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.