Use up all those delicious homegrown beetroots, and get pickling with our yummy recipe.
View the method
- 1 Kg Meduim size raw beetroot
- 300 ml white vinegar
- 100 g castor sugar
- 5 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200 ml water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
Back to ingredients
- Place Beetroot in a pot and just cover with water.
- Add a pinch of salt and cook until you can put a knife through the beetroot (then you know they are cooked), then drain.
- In another saucepan bring to boil the water, sugar, white vinegar, bay leaves and spices.
- Once boiling bring down to simmer for 2 - 3 minutes, or until sugar has dissolved.
- Switch off heat and add the balsamic vinegar.
- Let the beetroot cool down a bit so you can handle them.
- Remove the skin and either grate them, slice or keep whole (as you prefer them - I like mine grated).
- Put them in a jar and pour the reduced mixture over the beetroot.
- Let it cool then add the olive oil, seal, and put in the fridge.