Broccoli zuppa toscana
This comforting soup is full of delicious Italian flavours, with a few simple ingredients coming together in this one pot wonder. Bites of al dente broccoli add beautiful texture to this quick and easy soup; this is bound to be your new family favourite!
- Olive oil
- 480g pork sausages, removed from the casings
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 3L chicken stock
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups kale or spinach, torn
- 1 cup cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Freshly grated parmesan, to finish
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat, and drizzle generously with olive oil. Add the pork sausage to the pot, and use a spoon to break the sausage into smaller pieces as it cooks. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sausage meat begins to caramelise, then add the bacon and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, dried oregano and chilli flakes to the saucepan, and cook while stirring for 3-4 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Carefully pour the chicken stock into the pot, and simmer for 5-10 minutes, before adding the broccoli florets and kale. Simmer for a remaining 4-5 minutes or until the broccoli is al dente.
- To finish the soup, stir through the cream and lemon juice, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Finish with freshly grated parmesan and serve.