Chicken soup with homemade dumplings
This hearty chicken soup with vegetables and dumplings is perfect for keeping the winter chills away! Great for the soul and your immunity, all in one delicious soup.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- Fresh or dried mixed herbs*
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
- 1 skinless chicken breast
- 400g canned lentils, drained
- 1 ¼ cup self raising flour
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1Tbsp butter, melted
*NOTE: any fresh or dried herbs will work deliciously in this soup! Use 1Tbsp of mixed dried herbs, or ¼ cup of fresh herbs.
- In a large pot, bring a generous drizzle of olive to a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery, and saute for 5-7 minutes or until softened and slightly golden.
- To the vegetable mixture, add the herbs, 2L of water and stock cube. Stir to incorporate, then submerge the chicken breast. Place a lid on the soup, and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken breast has cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breast from the soup, and cut into small pieces. Return the chicken to the soup, and stir through the lentils. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the dumplings, stir together the flour, milk, melted butter, salt and pepper. Stir to create a dough, then roll into small even sized balls and drop into the soup.
- Place the lid back onto the soup, and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the dumplings have cooked through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls along with the dumplings and serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.