- 50g Pams pure butter, diced
- 5 - 6 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5L salt reduced beef stock
- 2 Tbsp Pams Plain Flour
- Fresh thyme
- ½ baguette, sliced and toasted
- 1 cup Pams Tasty Grated Cheese
- In a large pot, melt the butter with a generous drizzle of olive oil over a medium low heat. Add the onions, and cook while stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the onions have softened.
- Season the onions with salt, stir in the garlic and increase to a medium heat. Cook while stirring more frequently for 20 minutes, until golden and caramelised.
- Deglaze the pan with half a cup of the stock, then stir in the flour. Stir in the rest of the stock, add the thyme, then bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C. Season the soup to taste, then ladle into oven safe bowls. Top with a few slices of toasted baguette, then sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Grill until the cheese has melted, then serve while hot!
Add bay leaves when simmering this soup for an extra layer of flavour.