The quality and goodness of the ingredients bring out the brilliance of this beautiful and healthy soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 slices day-old French-style bread
- 5 cups of strong chicken or vegetable stock (preferably home-made)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp dry Spanish sherry - optional
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped fresh parsley and thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic cloves until golden. Remove the garlic from the oil and set aside.
- Saute the bread slices in the garlicky oil until crusty & golden. Set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves to the warm stock crushing them lightly.
- Add the sherry if using and let the stock sit for an hour or so.
- When ready to serve, strain the stock while pressing the garlic cloves through a sieve with a wooden spoon so that most of the garlic passes through into the stock.
- Heat the broth to boiling point and in a large bowl beat the eggs until they are light and frothy then stir in the cream.
- Add the eggs and cream to the hot broth, taste for salt and pepper.
Serve with the fried bread and herb garnish.