- 4 kg turkey, defrosted
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4-5 rashers rindless bacon, diced
- 4 cup coarsley chopped or torn fresh bread
- 5-6 sundried tomatoes in oil, well drained, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 50 g chilled butter, finely chopped or grated
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Place the oven rack in the lower section of the oven but not the bottom rung unless the oven is very small. Place a cake rack into a large metal roasting dish.
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, garlic and bacon for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove from the heat, toss through the breadcrumbs, sundried tomatoes, herbs and grated butter. Season with salt and pepper; cover and set aside to cool.
- Wash turkey; pat the cavity dry using paper towels.
Cooking the turkey
- Fill the cavity with the stuffing. Tie the legs together and twist the wings under the body to ensure it keeps a good shape and prevent the wing tips from burning.
- Weigh the turkey to calculate the cooking time later. Spread a little extra butter on top of the turkey and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Place the turkey on the prepared rack and pour 1 cup of water into the dish below.
- Roast in the preheated oven allowing 30 minutes per 500 grams. A 4kg turkey with 400 grams stuffing will take 4½ hours to cook. Cover with foil if the turkey begins to brown too much.
- Remove from the oven, cover and rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Drain cooking juices from the roasting pan. Skim off the fat and return 3 tablespoons fat to the roasting pan (or use butter). Place over a low heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons flour to the pan and stir for 1-2 minutes until frothy.
- Make the cooking juices up to 1½ cups with chicken stock and gradually stir into the pan. Bring to the boil then lower to a simmer for 5 minutes. Stir the sediment from the bottom of the pan into the gravy. Season with salt and pepper if wished.