Roast turkey with lime and dijon mustard glaze
The fresh flavours of lime and dijon mustard put a modern twist on this classic Christmas dish!
View the method
- 1 Tegel Turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (stuffing)
- 2 tbsp butter (stuffing)
- 2 rashers Tegel Chicken Bacon, chopped (stuffing)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (stuffing)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (stuffing)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped (stuffing)
- 1/2 French stick, diced into 1cm pieces (stuffing)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (stuffing)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (stuffing)
- 50g butter, melted (glaze)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (glaze)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (glaze)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard (glaze)
- 1 tbsp runny honey (glaze)
- 1 cup chicken stock
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Prepare the stuffing – heat the olive oil and butter in a pan. Add the chicken bacon, onion, garlic and celery and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and place into a large bowl with the bread and dried apricots. Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Combine the butter, oil, lime juice, mustard and honey. Set aside.
- Remove the neck and giblet packs from the body and cavity of the turkey.
- Stuff the turkey with the prepared stuffing, tie the legs together and fold under the wing tips. Place the turkey onto a rack in a roasting dish. Brush with about 3/4 of the lime and mustard glaze and pour the chicken stock into the dish.
- Cover the turkey with a layer of baking paper followed by a layer of tin foil and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the baking paper and foil and baste with the juices in the dish. Continue cooking following the recommended cooking times on the pack, or until the turkey is golden brown and the juices run clear when the turkey is pierced through the thickest part of the thigh.
- Baste frequently during cooking.
- When the turkey is cooked, brush with the remaining glaze, remove it from the oven and transfer it to a warmed plate. Cover loosely with tin foil and rest for 10 minutes. If desired, use the pan juices to prepare gravy.
- Serve with roasted or barbecued mixed vegetables, boiled baby new potatoes and green beans with almonds or a green salad. Suggested vegetables are kumara, crushed garlic, red onion, red and yellow peppers, baby carrots, courgettes tossed with fresh herbs.