Warm baby beetroot & carrot salad
A bright salad to accompany roast meat – or serve alone with warm Turkish bread.
View the method
- 350 grams baby beetroot, washed
- 350 grams baby carrots, scrubbed
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp picked coriander leaves
- 1 Tbsp torn mint leaves
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
Back to ingredients
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Place the baby beets in a saucepan of lightly salted water and bring to the boil. Boil for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, rub off their skins (use gloves) and place in a bowl. Pour over half of the dressing.
- At the same time as you’re boiling the beets, place the baby carrots in a separate saucepan, barely cover with water, lightly salt and add a teaspoon of sugar. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, remove the lid and simmer for 8-10 minutes until just tender. Drain if necessary and place in the bowl with the remaining dressing.
- To serve: Arrange the baby beets with their dressing on a serving platter. Nestle the carrots with their dressing beside them and scatter over the chilli, if using, and fresh herbs.