Cottage cheese and asparagus tart
Asparagus is not only fantastic for your health, it pairs perfectly with cottage cheese and puff pastry for this perennial crowd pleaser. Light, easy, simple and delicious, this tart is the perfect meat-free dish to serve up this season. Just watch the smiles at your table!
- 2 sheets Pams Flaky Puff Pastry
- 1 Pams Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
- 250g cottage cheese
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons Pams Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes, to serve
- Side salad, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the pastry sheets on the baking trays. Using a sharp knife, lightly score a 1cm border around all the edges of the pastry. Prick the centre of the pastry all over with a fork. Brush the 1cm border with a little of the beaten egg.
- Place the remaining egg into a bowl with the cottage cheese, parmesan, and lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well to combine.
- Spread the cottage cheese mixture over the pastry sheets, staying within the marked border. Arrange the asparagus spears on top of the cottage cheese and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through and the asparagus is tender.
- Sprinkle with the chilli flakes and extra parmesan. Slice into portions and serve with a simple salad on the side.
- For an unbeatable brunch, add slices of cold smoked salmon and garnish with dill sprigs before serving.
- If you’ve already got grated tasty cheese in the fridge, you can use that instead of the parmesan.