- 400g can Wattie’s Chickpeas in Springwater
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Wattie's Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Gregg's Ground Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Gregg's Ground Cumin
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 1½ Tbsp chickpea flour*
Yoghurt and Mint Dressing:
- ½ cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Squeeze of lemon to taste
- Drain the Wattie’s Chickpeas and then dry them on paper towels to absorb as much of the moisture as possible.
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor. Add the garlic, red onion, Wattie's Tomato Paste, Gregg's Ground Smoked Paprika, Gregg’s Ground Cumin, parsley and chickpea flour. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Process until the mixture binds together but still has a bit of texture.
- Shape the mixture into 8 small patties. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- To make the Yoghurt and Mint Dressing: Mix the ingredients together, adding the lemon juice to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small frying pan and cook the falafels over medium heat for 3–4 minutes on each side or until golden and hot.
- Serve with Yoghurt and Mint Dressing and a crisp green salad on the side. Alternatively fill pita pockets with falafels, salad and dressing.
If the falafel mixture is too wet, add a little extra chickpea flour.
*Chickpea flour can be substituted with plain flour.