Crispy tofu and red onion bao buns
If you’re not already familiar with bao buns, let us introduce you to your new favourite meal! Light, fluffy steamed buns are filled with crunchy, sesame crumbed tofu slices, paired perfectly with quick pickled red onion and cucumber. The ultimate DIY takeaway dinner!
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ telegraph cucumber, sliced
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 300g firm tofu, cut into slices
- Rice bran oil
- 8 bao buns
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- Fresh coriander leaves, optional
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of lukewarm water, white vinegar, caster sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then add the thinly sliced red onion and cucumber. Mix to combine, then set aside to pickle.
- Place the flour, eggs and panko bread crumbs into individual bowls. Season the flour with salt and pepper, beat the eggs, and mix the sesame seeds into the breadcrumbs.
- Crumb the tofu slices by coating them with seasoned flour, egg, then sesame panko crumbs.
- Bring a pan to a medium heat with a drizzle of rice bran oil. Pan fry the crumbed tofu slices for 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden brown and crispy. Place on a plate lined with a paper towel and repeat with the remaining tofu slices.
- Steam the bao buns as per pack instruction. To assemble to bao buns, spread each base with hoisin sauce. Lay pieces of tofu on top, then follow with pickled cucumber, red onion and bean sprouts. Finish with coriander if desired, and serve immediately.