- 300g jasmine rice*
- 600g firm tofu, cut into chunks or cubes
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion*, finely diced
- 1 courgette*, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 170g tomato paste
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 cups frozen peas*
- ½ cucumber*, cut into chunks
- 2 tomatoes*, cut into chunks or slices
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Combine the ingredients for the kachumber salad and set aside.
- Heat oven to 220C bake or 200C fan bake and prepare a baking tray.
- Combine tofu, cornflour and salt and pepper in a bowl and toss gently to coat. Transfer onto the baking tray and spread on a single layer. Bake for 15-25 minutes until it is golden and crisp, turning halfway through. As the tofu bakes prepare the curry sauce.
- Heat oil in a wide pot or sauté pan on the stove over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften, mix in garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant. Add curry powder and garam masala, stir and heat the spices.
- Add tomato paste and stir to heat through, pour in coconut milk and gently mix. Fill the coconut milk can about a third of the way up with water and pour this into the pan with the sauce. Add courgettes, simmer for about 5-10 minutes while stirring occasionally to thicken.
- Stir through the tofu and frozen peas and bring to a simmer. Test taste, adding salt and pepper to season.
- Place all the elements in the centre of the table and serve, or portion the rice, curry, and salad into bowls and plates.
For a spicier curry add chilli powder or flakes, or cayenne pepper along with the other spices.
To boost the fibre, use brown rice instead of white.
Eat for lunch the next day.