- 750g green beans, trimmed
- 50g butter
- 400g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ¼ Tbsp plain flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- Preheat your oven to 170°C fan bake. Blanch the green beans in boiling water for 3 minutes or until just tender, then run under cold water and drain.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes or under tender. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the flour over and cook for a minute before gradually stirring in the milk, followed by the vegetable stock. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Toss the green beans through the mushroom sauce until well combined. Transfer into a large baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot to medium-high heat with enough oil to deep fry the onions. Fry the onions in batches for 5 minutes or until golden brown, drain on a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the crispy onions over the green bean casserole to serve.
Top tip: Serve your green bean casserole with crispy shallots and lemon wedges for a tasty addition.
If fresh green beans are not available use frozen whole baby beans instead.