Hidden vege mac n cheese
Fussy eaters in the house? This luscious macaroni and cheese cleverly disguises 4 different vegetables amongst what seems to be a classic pasta dish, creating a delicious meal that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy!
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 2 cups dried macaroni
- 4 ½ cups milk
- ½ cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 courgette, peeled and grated
- 1 parsnip, peeled and grated
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. In a large saucepan, combine the onion, macaroni, milk and cauliflower. Place over a low to medium heat, and stir constantly while cooking for 5 minutes then stir in the courgette and parsnip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until the macaroni is tender.
- Stir the oil and flour together to form a paste, then spoon into the pasta and stir while cooking for a final 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Fold the grated cheese through the pasta, season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Toss the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl, then sprinkle over the pasta. Place into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and bubbling. Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.