Hidden veggie pasta sauce
Getting kids to eat vegetables can be a little tricky, but this hidden veggie pasta sauce is a delicious and versatile recipe that even the pickiest of eaters will love! A flavoursome and nutritious go-to.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large celery stalk or 2 celery sticks, roughly diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 capsicum, roughly diced
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian or mixed herbs
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 700g tomato passata or puree
- Bring a drizzle of olive oil to a medium heat in a medium sized saucepan. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, capsicum and dried herbs to the pan and cook while stirring for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables have begun to soften.
- Stir the tomato paste into the vegetable mixture, followed by the tomato passata.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then reduce the heat and simmer just covered for 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by a quarter and thickened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
- Once the sauce has cooled, carefully spoon into a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer the sauce into a jar or containers, and use as desired.
SKILL LEVEL: MEDIUM
TIP: This sauce is incredibly versatile; mix with a dash of cream and serve tossed with pasta, as a base for baked eggs, in chicken parmigiana or as a base for kid-friendly English muffin pizzas!