Honey glazed carrot and thyme tart
Perfect for any brunch or get together – everyone, including yourself will be in awe of these delectable honey glazed carrot and thyme tarts. The fresh in-season carrots are a showstopper in this dish, drizzled with honey and paired with pastry and ricotta, it doesn’t get more heavenly than that.
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 30cm x 30cm square defrosted puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup cream
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- 1tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Extra fresh thyme, to garnish
** Use a tray to weigh the pastry sheet down if it inflates too much.
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees celsius. Slice the carrots on a diagonal to ½ cm thick, and scatter over a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, then drizzle over the honey and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Lay the pastry sheet on a lined baking tray. Use a knife to score a 1cm border around the edges, then prick the center with a fork. Brush with egg, then place into the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly puffed* and golden.
- Mix together the ricotta, cream, parmesan cheese and thyme leaves, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the ricotta mixture over the base of the pastry sheet, avoiding the border. Arrange the carrots over the top, and return to the oven to bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- To finish, sprinkle the baked tart with chopped hazelnuts, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with fresh thyme. Serve immediately.