There's nothing like a home-cooked pie straight from the oven. Spanakopita is a Greek savoury spinach pie and this recipe also uses leek and plenty of cheese. Once you get the hang of lining the tin with the filo pastry, you’ll find that the recipe is extremely easy to make and the pie is sure to impress your guests.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek, halved and sliced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g fresh spinach
- 1 large egg
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 50g butter, melted
- 6 sheets Filo pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake. Bring a large pan to a medium heat with the olive oil. Saute the sliced leek and spring onion for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and spinach and cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until the leeks are tender. Leave to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the egg, crumbled feta, parmesan cheese, oregano and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooled spinach mixture to the wet ingredients, and stir well to combine.
- To prepare the filo, brush one sheet with melted butter, then top with a new sheet. Repeat 2 times, then press into a greased 20-30cm round cake tin. Repeat, and press the sheets into the tin in an alternate direction to ensure all sides are covered.
- Spoon the filling into the tin, then lay the filo edges over the top. Brush with more melted butter, then place into the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool/set for an hour. Carefully remove from the cake tin, then slice and serve.