Lemon pesto spaghetti squash
A low-carb, gluten free pasta alternative. The zesty lemon pesto creates a lovely, light dinner.
- Gluten free
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthways
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup pine nuts or cashews
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan, plus extra
- 2 cups rocket or baby spinach
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. Scoop the seeds out of the spaghetti squash halves, then prick the skin with a fork. Place onto a lined baking tray cut side down, then drizzle
- Tbsp of olive oil over both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Place into the oven, and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the squash is just tender when tested with a fork or just soft enough to run a fork through. Turn the squash so it is cut side up, and set aside.
- While the spaghetti squash is cooking, make the pesto by placing the remaining olive oil, basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan in a food processor. Blend until smooth, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the squash is just cool enough to touch, use a fork to run through the flesh lengthways and create ‘spaghetti’ strands. Place the spaghetti into a large bowl, then toss with the pesto and rocket.
- Serve the spaghetti squash in bowls, garnish with additional freshly grated parmesan.