Lentil and ricotta lasagne
Nutty lentils add texture and flavour to this protein-rich vegetable lasagne.
View the method
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp no added salt tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 60g (3/4 cup) All-Bran® Original
- 450g low fat ricotta
- 1 egg
- 25g (1/4 cup) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 125ml (1/2 cup) reduced fat milk
- 3 fresh lasagne sheets
Back to ingredients
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery, cook stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Add garlic and mushrooms, cook stirring for 3 minutes more.
- Add the tomato paste, cook stirring for 2 minutes, add the tomatoes, 125ml (1/2 cup) water and the lentils. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the All-Bran® Original, then simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 160ºC fan forced, lightly spray a 2 litre (8) capacity oven proof baking dish with oil. Place the ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese and milk in a food processor and process until smooth.
- To assemble the lasagne, spread 2/3 cup of the lentil mixture over the base of the prepared dish. Top with 1 lasagne sheet, cutting to fit if necessary. Top with half the lentil mixture, then third of the ricotta mixture. Repeat with another lasagne sheet, the remaining lentils and third of the ricotta. Finish with a third lasagne sheet, and spread evenly with the final ricotta mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbling.
Let the lasagne sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve garnished with fresh basil or baby rocket leaves if desired.