Mexican inspired stuffed capsicums
NZ capsicums are a beautiful vessel for flavour, and these Mexican inspired stuffed capsicums tick all of the boxes! Packed with punchy flavour and paired with a zesty salsa, these will easily become a staple recipe for your family.
- 4 capsicums, halved and deseeded
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice or quinoa
- ½ cup Pams kidney beans
- ½ cup corn kernels, tinned or defrosted
- 6 small vine tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp Mexican seasoning
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh coriander or parsley
- Juice of ½ lemon or lime
- Sour cream to serve, if desired
- Lemon or lime wedges, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake. Lay the halved capsicums skin side down on a lined roasting tray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice or quinoa, kidney beans, corn kernels, half of the diced tomatoes and Mexican seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture evenly amongst the halved capsicums, then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Cover with a lid or foil, then place into the oven to bake for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until the filling is heated through and the capsicum is tender.
- While the capsicums are cooking, make the salsa by mixing together the avocado, red onion, tomato, coriander and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the salsa over the cooked capsicums and serve with sour cream and lime wedges if desired.