Okonomiyaki Japanese style savoury pancake
These delightful Japanese savoury pancakes, better known as Okonomiyaki, are a seriously delicious way to enjoy some of your 5+ a day! Made with a few simple ingredients, these pan fried morsels are garnished with Katsu sauce and Japanese mayonnaise to create a true taste sensation.
- 3 eggs
- 50ml milk
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup plain flour
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 cups shredded green or red cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Rice bran oil
- Japanese mayonnaise, if desired
- Hoisin or katsu sauce, if desired
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and soy sauce until combined. Add the flour, and whisk until smooth.
- To the batter mixture, add 3 sliced spring onions, the shredded cabbage, shredded carrot and a pinch of chilli flakes. Season with pepper, then stir well until completely incorporated.
- Bring a drizzle of rice bran oil to a medium to low heat in a small frying pan. Once hot, pour half of the Okonomiyaki mixture into the pan. Cover, and cook for 5-6 minutes before flipping and cooking covered for a remaining 5 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Repeat with the remaining pancake mixture, then place on two plates. Drizzle with Japanese mayonnaise and hoisin if desired, then sprinkle over the remaining spring onion and sesame seeds to garnish. Serve and enjoy immediately.