One pot mushroom and lentil chilli
This vegan take on chilli con carne is the perfect one pot recipe for a family meal or entertaining friends, and is so versatile; use it to make nachos, enchiladas or even burrito bowls! Don’t tell the kids, but this delicious dish has plenty of hidden vegetables too.
- 250g portobello mushrooms, roughly diced
- Olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 courgette, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tinned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups tomato passata/puree
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Fresh salsa, tortillas, corn chips, coriander and/or rice, to serve
- Using a food processor, pulse the mushrooms a few times until they reach a finely diced consistency. Alternatively, chop them using a sharp knife to create the same consistency.
- In a large pan, bring a drizzle of olive oil to a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the capsicum, mushrooms and courgette, and cook while stirring for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- To the vegetables, add the taco seasoning, smoked paprika and drained lentils. Stir to combine, then add the passata and worcestershire sauce and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and reduced by a quarter.
- Once reduced, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the chilli with your favourite sides or toppings and enjoy.