- 2 large floury potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 parsnips, grated
- ½ brown onion, grated
- ¼ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Rice bran or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill + extra for garnish
- ½ tsp horseradish
- Fresh lemon, to serve
- In a large bowl, toss together the grated potato, parsnip, onion, flour and baking powder. Once combined, add the eggs and salt and pepper, then stir until completely combined.
- Bring a heavy based frying pan to a medium heat with a generous drizzle of oil. Once hot, carefully spoon mounds of the latke mixture into the pan, then use the back of a large spoon to flatten the mixture into thin rounds.
- Cook the latkes for 4-5 minutes or until golden, then flip with a spatula and cook for a further 4-5 minutes or until crisp and golden on both sides. Set aside on a paper towel to drain, then sprinkle with salt and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining latkes.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix together the creme fraiche, chopped dill, horseradish and seasoning to taste.
- Serve the cooked latkes alongside the creme fraiche, then garnish with fresh dill and lemon wedges if desired.