- 1/2 small pumpkin, chopped into small cubes (about 3 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups stock (vege or chicken)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Toss the cubed pumpkin and two cloves of the garlic in two tablespoons of olive oil and bake until cooked through and a little bit crispy.
- While the pumpkin is baking, fry the remaining garlic and onion in the remaining olive oil until softened.
- Add the pearl barley and stir until shiny with oil and sizzling a bit.
- Add the chopped sage and cook another minute or so.
- Then add the liquids, stir well and cook on medium with the lid on for 40-45 minutes.
- Keep checking regularly, as you don't want it to burn to the bottom.
- Once the liquid is absorbed and the barely cooked until just a little bit chewy, stir through the parmesan and butter and gently fold in the roasted pumpkin cubes.
- Season to taste and voila, it's ready to eat.