Slow cooker dahl
Packed with warming spices and creamy lentils, say ‘Kia ora’ to your new go-to healthy and delicious weeknight meal. Our slow cooker dahl is the ultimate no-fuss, budget-friendly and meat-free comfort food for those chilly nights and can easily be made vegan – just omit the butter for coconut oil!
- Slow Cooker
- 2 cups Pams Split Red Lentils, rinsed.
- 6 cups water.
- 1 tsp turmeric.
- 1 knob of ginger, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin strips.
- 70g Pams Butter.
- 3 tsp cumin seeds.
- 3 tsp ground coriander.
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves.
- Add the lentils, water, turmeric and ginger to your slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on high for 3 hours, or until the lentils are tender.
- When the dahl is ready, season generously with salt and remove the ginger slices.
- Just before serving, heat the butter in a small fry pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle until fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir through the ground coriander. Pour half the butter mix into the dahl and stir to combine.
- To serve, spoon the remaining spice mix over top of the dahl and sprinkle with the fresh coriander.
Be sure to serve with Pams Garlic Roti or Pams Basmati Rice. And if you’re after a bit of heat to add to your dahl, add finely chopped red chilli when you add the lentils and water.
Freeze any leftovers in portion-sized containers – it will keep for up to 2 months.