Spring vegetable risotto
Haere mai the season of spring with this deliciously cosy risotto! It’s beautifully creamy, simply satisfying and abundantly green; which makes it a wonderful meal or accompanying dish for any day of the week.
- 5 cups (1.25L) vegetable stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ½ cup Saint Clair Marlborough Origin Chardonnay 2019
- 1 cup Pams frozen peas
- 2 cups fresh spinach
Spring vegetables of your choice to serve, if desired
1. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan, then remove from the heat and set aside. Meanwhile, cook peas in salted boiling water for 3-5 minutes until just cooked. Drain, reserving a little of the water, and puree with the water until smooth.
2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a heavy based saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes or until translucent.
3. Next, stir the rice into the pan and cook while stirring for a further minute to toast. Pour in the white wine, and cook while stirring for a couple of minutes to deglaze the pan.
4. Once the wine has evaporated, slowly add the vegetable stock one ladle at a time, stirring in between and waiting until the liquid has absorbed between each addition. Repeat until the rice is creamy and al dente, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Fold the pea puree into the risotto, along with the baby spinach. Top with vegetables, and garnish with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice and serve immediately.
SKILL LEVEL: EASY/ MEDIUM
TIP: Fold ¼ cup of grated parmesan into the risotto before serving for a luxurious addition. Garnish with fresh lemon wedges, herbs and a drizzle of olive oil for a fresh finish.