Vegetarian chickpea biryani
This vegetarian biryani is a one-pot wonder that is packed with flavour and texture. Making for an easy but deliciously fragrant meal any night of the week! Packed with protein from chickpeas and pops of sweetness from raisins, this rice dish is a great alternative for any dietary requirement.
- 300g Pams basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp Pams olive oil or butter
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp Pams crushed ginger
- 1 Tbsp Pams curry powder
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 120g fresh or frozen spinach
- 400g Pams tinned chickpeas, drained
- 850ml vegetable stock
- Place the rice in a bowl, and cover it with warm water. Leave to soak for 15 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger, and sauté for a few minutes until the onion has softened. Stir the curry powder through the onion, followed by the raisins, grated carrot and spinach.
- Add the soaked rice and chickpeas to the pot, stir, then season with salt and pepper. Pour the stock over the rice, then cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for five minutes.
- After five minutes, remove from the heat and leave covered for 10 minutes. Use a fork to fluff the rice, then serve and enjoy.
Skill level: Easy
Garnish this dish with fresh coriander and toasted almonds for a pop of flavour and texture.