Bacon and egg pie
A classic New Zealand recipe that’s great for picnics, lunch or dinner! Serve with a generous squirt of tomato sauce, or for a more substantial meal; with a side of veges and gravy.
- 1-2 sheets Pams flaky puff pastry, thawed
- 6 Slices Pams Middle Bacon, rinds removed & cut into pieces
- 50g Pams tasty grated cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 eggs (reserve one yolk for glazing pastry)
- Cup Pams cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 200ºc. Lightly grease a 20cm pie or quiche pan. Line
Pan with the pastry sheets, easing pastry into the base to fit neatly.
Trim any excess and crimp edges with your fingertips to make a scalloped pattern. Prick pastry base all over with a fork and chill for 30 minutes.
Spread half the bacon over pastry base, sprinkle with the cheese and tomato. Crack 4 whole eggs over the top, keeping yolks intact.
Whisk together 3 egg yolks & 4 egg whites (putting one yolk aside) with the cream, parsley, thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Pour egg mixture into the pastry case and scatter with the remaining bacon.
In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg yolk with 2 teaspoons water, to make a glaze. Evenly brush the pastry rim with the glaze.
Bake in the lower part of the oven for 30–35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and crisp and the filling is set. Serve hot or cold.