- 3 cups high grade flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ cups warm water
- Vegetable or rice bran oil, for frying
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Slowly add the warm water while mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover, and leave to proof in a warm place for 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place onto a floured surface and roll out to a 1-2cm thickness.
- Cut into your desired shapes or number of pieces, then deep fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and fluffy in the center. Once cooked, place onto a wire rack set on a lined tray to drain.
- Serve the fry bread alongside your favourite sides or with your desired toppings.
Flour works as a sponge, absorbing moisture from humid air in the summer and drying out in winter. Depending on the season, you may need to customise your flour to water ratio to create the perfect dough. Slowly add the water in increments, mixing in between, until a soft dough forms; using extra or less water as needed.