Paraoa parai / fry bread
No celebratory Matariki feast is complete without Maori fry bread! Crispy and golden brown on the outside and perfectly fluffy on the inside – these fry breads are pure heaven in dough form. Serve alongside your favourite meals or with some delicious dips.
- 3 cups high grade flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- Vegetable or rice bran oil, for frying
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Slowly add the warm water while mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover, and leave to proof in a warm place for 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place onto a floured surface and roll out to a 1-2cm thickness.
- Cut into your desired shapes or number of pieces, then deep fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and fluffy in the center. Once cooked, place onto a wire rack set on a lined tray to drain.
- Serve the fry bread alongside your favourite sides or with your desired toppings.