Bolar roast rub
The bolar cut is very tender and has a delicious flavour, it's perfect for slow cooking or roasting.
- 1.2kg Quality Mark beef bolar
- Spice mix:
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Good pinch dried red chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Crispy roast potatoes:
- 1.5 kg floury potatoes, peeled and cut into halves
- ¼ cup oil
- 25g butter
Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Combine all the spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Rub over the beef roast and place on a wire tray on a baking dish.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°C and place in the oven to roast for 40-45 minutes for medium-rare beef.
- Remove beef from the oven and place on a warmed plate, cover loosely with foil and a clean tea towel and leave to rest.
Crispy roast potatoes
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes, just so they are slightly soft around the edges. Drain and place saucepan back over the heat.
- Shake saucepan to dry off potatoes. Score the surface of each with a fork to scruff them up.
- Place oil and butter into a roasting dish and place in oven to heat. Add potatoes, tossing well so that every surface is covered.
- Roast for 45 minutes at least until thoroughly golden and crisp.
Sprinkle with a little salt before serving.
Find quality Mark beef bolar at your New World butchery.