Köttbullar (swedish meatballs)
Swedish style with mashed potato and creamy gravy.
- 75 g Breadcrumbs, dried
- 125 ml Milk
- 1 Onion, small, finely diced
- 1 Olive oil, or another oil, for cooking
- 500 g Beef mince, lean
- 250 g Pork mince
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 30 g Butter
- 300 ml Beef stock
- 75 ml Cream
- 4 servings Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 10 minutes or so. Meanwhile, gently sweat the onion in a dash of oil, just to soften.
- Next mix together breadcrumb mixture, onion, mince, egg and allspice to combine well, seasoning generously with white pepper and salt. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor, then pulse a little until mixture has a slightly finer texture.
- Gently roll to form 3cm diameter meatballs. Place on a clingfilm-lined plate and chill for 20 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a pan and add meatballs. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, shaking pan frequently so that meatballs brown all over. Remove meatballs to a plate and keep warm in a low oven
- Add butter to the same pan, and allow it to foam before adding stock. Stir over medium heat and add cream. Bring to boil, then serve. Serve meatballs and sauce with mashed potato, steamed greens and a good scattering of parsley.