Butterflied Chicken: the meat has been specially prepared before cooking which allows it to retain its' juiciness and flavour. This is an easy technique that can be done at home and it's worth your time if you are after perfectly cooked chicken. Recipe supplied by The Gates Country Lodge.
- 1 fresh chicken
- Olive oil
- Fresh Rosemary leaves, chopped
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Cut down each side of the backbone of the chicken to remove it.
- Flatten the chicken out and rub with a generous amount of olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Cook skin side down for 15 to 20 minutes on a hot BBQ or hotplate with a weight on top to keep the chicken flattened (use a brick wrapped in layers of tin foil).
- Turn the chicken over and cook on the other side for a similar time.
- Check when cooked that juices run clear by inserting a skewer in the thickest part.