Chia chicken burgers
These burgers are moist, delicious and full of healthy veggies and herbs.
- ½ kilo ground (minced) chicken
- ½ cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 – 3 tsp black Chia seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt, pepper (or to taste)
- Olive or coconut oil (for cooking)
- 4 bread buns
- Mayo, ketchup or tomato chutney
- Tomatoes, greens and red onions
- Cheese (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, rice, carrot, zucchini, chopped parsley and Chia seeds well, and then form four patties.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium to medium-high heat, add oil and cook patties for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Reduce heat if browning too quickly. You can also cook on a grill.
- To serve, cut foccacia bread buns in half and spread a little mayo and ketchup (or tomato chutney) on bread.
- Place a piece of cheese, if using, on the bottom pieces then add a burger patty, tomatoes, greens and red onions if desired.
- Place top on and gently press down.
- Serve burger patties on a bed of mixed greens for a lighter meal.
Tip: You can substitute chicken with ground (minced) beef, turkey, fish or prawns if desired.