30-minute butter chicken
Make this takeaway classic so quickly you need never head for the Indian restaurant again.
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into 5cm chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup cream
- Fresh chopped coriander
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken chunks. Set aside.
- Pan-fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until softened. Add the spices and stir fry for a further 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, sugar and lemon juice, return the chicken pieces to the pan and stir to combine.
- Stir in the cream and ¼ cup water and simmer, partially covered, for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Season and serve over hot steaming rice, garnished with coriander.
Chicken thigh cutlets are generally cheaper - just cut the meat off the bone.
Browning the chicken first adds flavour.