Trinidad chicken curry
A scrumptious chicken curry to warm even the coldest night.
- 3 Tegel chicken breasts skin on, cubed
- 2 tbsp rice bran oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp mustard (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 fresh mango (or tinned) skinned and cut into 2cm cubes
- Roti bread
- 1 green capsicum, de-seeded and chopped roughly
- 1 stalk of celery
- 3 spring onions
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tb fresh thyme (or ½ tb dried)
- ¼ - ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Make the green seasoning by blending the green capsicum, celery, spring onions, coriander, garlic, thyme, water and salt.
- In a bowl, marinate the chicken in the green seasoning (about 1 cup worth).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-sized, heavy based saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until soft then add the spices (cumin, turmeric, garam masala) and fry for 2-3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the chicken and green seasoning and stir until coated in the spice mix and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Finally add the coconut milk, mustard (if using), salt and pepper. Gently stir in the mango and heat through.
- Serve with rice and roti.
Wine suggestion: Chardonnay