- One large fresh roasting chicken – size 20 or larger.
- 200g cream cheese
- 1 baby leek
- 3 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp black peppercorns, salt to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Spray oil
- Fry the onions gently in oil with the garlic until transparent, remove from heat and transfer to a lidded oven dish.
- Loosen the skin on the chicken breast by sliding a wooden spoon under the skin from the neck opening.
- Wash, dry and finely chop the leek. Crush peppercorns and crystal salt in a pestle and mortar. Mix the leek with seasoning and cream cheese. Carefully push the mixture into the neck opening and under the skin. You will see the stuffing clearly under the skin, plump over the breast. Tuck the neck skin flap back in to seal.
- Lay the chicken over the onion mixture; the meat juices and cream cheese stuffing drip down while cooking so the onions have a creamy consistency and flavour.
- Add a cup of stock; this mostly evaporates, but keeps the onions from burning.
- Spray oil over the chicken, this helps it brown nicely. Cook at 175°c for half an hour then lower to 150°c for remainder of cooking time: depending on your oven, 2-2½ hours. Baste once or twice, but the lid helps keep the bird super moist and tender.
Serve with roast vegetables and greens on the side.