Spiced chicken couscous
A quick and tasty one-pot meal loaded with fresh ingredients. This recipe is easy to make your own by using your favourite spices and seasoning, plus you can add more greens with peas or spinach.
This recipe is part of a weekly meal planner for 5 recipes for 4, for under $100.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion*, finely diced
- 2 large capsicums*, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, grated or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 carrots*, cubed or grated
- 2 tablespoons sweet or smoked paprika or your favourite spice mix
- 500g skinless chicken breast*, cubed
- 2 courgettes, cubed or grated
- 1 cob fresh corn kernels*, or 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 400g couscous*
* These ingredients are shared with other recipes from the weekly meal planner.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or pot on the stove over medium high heat. Add onions, capsicum, and garlic, sauté for around 5 minutes until it becomes fragrant, and the onions and capsicum have softened.
- Turn up heat to high, stir in carrots and paprika, add chicken and stir fry until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add courgettes, corn, water, salt, and pepper. Stir, cover with a lid and bring to a rolling simmer. Turn off heat, add couscous, leave to sit for 10 minutes for the couscous to absorb the liquid.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and serve.
If you already have spice mixes at home or have a preferred spice and herb flavour combination use that in this recipe. Adding peas or spinach works well in this dish. If using grated vegetables add them in towards the end of the cook to avoid them from getting too soft.
Use quinoa instead of couscous to boost the protein and make this meal gluten free. For protein substitutions use firm tofu, quorn, chickpeas, and sliced/chopped almonds sprinkled on top.
Heat thoroughly and eat for lunch the next day.