Go-to Tuscan chicken bake
Almost everybody loves a chicken dish, and this Mediterranean-inspired meal is both healthy and simple to make. The herbs, mustard, shallots and olives add a fresh, Italian-style flavour that will have your friends begging you to give them the recipe.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 800g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¾ cup white wine
- 600g baby potatoes, halved
- 1 whole bulb garlic, cloves separated
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried thyme), plus extra to serve
- 1 lemon, halved
- ½ cup pitted green olives, to serve
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook for 4 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time, until chicken is browned on all sides.
- Pour over the wine and add the potatoes, garlic, shallots and thyme. Return the chicken to the pan and add the lemon. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken and potatoes are tender and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to rest before serving.
- To make the parsley dressing, place the parsley, mustard, shallot, lemon juice, sugar and oil in a small bowl and mix to combine.
Get inspired: Make it special – accompany the chicken with freekeh, quinoa or couscous.
For a simpler dish, leave out the olives and swap the shallots for onions.
Divide the chicken and potatoes between bowls. Serve with shallots, garlic, olives and the parsley dressing. Top with some extra chopped thyme if desired.