- 400g Cadbury energy chocolate
- 100g butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 410g can beetroot (I use Golden Circle whole baby beetroot)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp cocoa
- 70g chocolate drops or chopped nuts (optional)
- icing sugar to serve
- Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius then line a 20 x 30cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Roughly break or chop chocolate in to a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently until all chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Chop butter in to cubes and place in a large mixing bowl with brown sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Drain beetroot, discarding juice. Use food processor to blend beetroot to a smooth puree.
- Stir beetroot puree in to the butter mixture.
- Sift flour and cocoa in to mixture along with any optional chopped nuts or chocolate drops and fold together. Do not over mix.
- Check the melted chocolate is cooled and add to bowl with other ingredients, gently combine.
- Pour in to prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve - perfect with an afternoon cup of tea or coffee.