- 2 cups fruit mix
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda - mix with 1 mashed banana
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup of milk
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour contents in a greased heat proof bowl - Pyrex or stainless steel.
- Cover with two layers of grease proof paper and aluminium foil, tie with string to secure these, then you can form a loop to make it easier for removal once cooked.
- Place into a large saucepan half full of boiling water, cover with lid and simmer for 3 hours.
- Ensure you check the water level regularly and add boiling water if the level drops too low as a precaution against the pot boiling dry.
- Can be served with cream, custard or a Christmas sauce:
- Mix together 2 Tablespoon custard powder, 2 Tablespoon brown sugar and 2/3 cup of water until smooth.
- Add 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1-2 Tablespoon cream and a dash of brandy or sherry and mix until combined.