Chicken Roasts with Spiced Quinoa Stuffing
A tasty stuffing keeps the chicken moist and anything wrapped in bacon is even more delicious. Serve hot or at room temperature.
View the method
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 12 slices streaky bacon
- olive oil
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, (⅓ cup raw)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon each ground cinnamon and smoked paprika
- 6 dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 4 dates, roughly chopped
- zest 1 orange (reserve juice)
- small handful basil or parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Back to ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
- Stuffing: Combine all the ingredients, except the egg, in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg.
- Chicken: Place skin-side down, then cut each breast open so it lies flat like a book, but don’t cut all the way through, leaving it attached on one side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay 5 slices of bacon side by side on the bench. Place one breast, skin-side down, on top. Top with half of the stuffing, then sandwich with a second breast, skin-side up, lying the thicker end over the thin end of the bottom piece. Pull the bacon up and over to cover.
- Place on the baking tray, seam-side down. Place a piece of bacon over the top and tuck ends under, securing a sprig of herb, if desired. Repeat with the remaining bacon, chicken and stuffing.
- Pour the reserved orange juice over the top, drizzle with oil and season. Roast for 35–40 minutes until fully cooked through. Rest for 15 minutes before carving.