Cape fish cakes
"We lived in Cape Town, South Africa and this was another one of my mum's favourite recipes. She used to make these fish cakes with a tin fish called Saldanha Middle Cut Fish. I found that tinned tuna or salmon is a very good substitute. I serve it with vegetables and hollandaise sauce."
- 3 185g tins plain tuna
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 medium boiled agria potatoes
- 3-4 spring onions chopped
- 1 small carrot finely grated
- Good dash of sweet chilli sauce
- Good dash of soya sauce
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp chopped capers (optional)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Boil potatoes in salted water and mash roughly with a fork.
- Drain tuna and place in mixing bowl with all the other ingredients except the flour and panko breadcrumbs.
- Mix together, shape into patties, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour. Makes 12.
- Mix flour and panko breadcrumbs and coat patties with this.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry patties until golden brown on each side.
- Drain on paper towel.