Andrew's go-to fast fish curry
“Growing up in Fiji, cooking was about coming together as a family and telling stories. So even when we’re busy we always make time to sit down to dinner together. My mum’s Fish Curry is my family-favourite go-to – it’s creamy and flavourful, it’s a hit!” – Andrew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli, sliced, plus extra to serve
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 400g can coconut cream
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 800g medium firm fish fillets (such as hoki), cut into 3cm cubes
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Lime cheeks, to serve
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Mint leaves, to serve
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, to serve
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, cardamom, cumin, curry powder, turmeric and garam masala. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, or until the spices are fragrant.
Stir in the coconut cream and then the tomatoes. Bring to the boil, and then add the fish.
Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring gently, until the fish is cooked.
Cook’s Tips:Make it easier: Have a jar of the curry spice mix pre-made, to make this quicker than ever.
Use minced garlic and ginger to speed up dinner prep.