Pix Farm fish pie
"This recipe has been handed down in my family from my great, great grandmother and is always made by my family on Good Friday. Of course, it can be made at any other time of the year and is so easy to prepare and cook. A real taste of home."
- 1.5 lb Mixed Salmon and Cod (or any other firm white fish)
- 3 hard Boiled Eggs
- 0.5 lb Raw Prawns
- Salt and Pepper
- White Sauce Mix
- 2 lb Potatoes, peeled, cut into pieces and boiled
- Place salmon in a dish, season with salt and pepper and pour over 2 Tbsp water and 1 Tbsp vermouth. Cover and cook in medium oven (Gas 6, 200c) for 15 minutes.
- Place cod in a dish, season with salt and pepper, cover with milk and cook in oven as for salmon.
- When fish is cool enough, save both cooking liquids and break fish into pieces and place in dish. Add prawns and halved hard boiled eggs.
- Make up the white sauce mix using the saved cooking liquids - you will need approx. half to three quarters of a pint - and pour over the fish and egg mix.
- Mash the cooked potatoes with the butter and milk to give a smooth consistency. Put on top of the fish and smooth the top with a fork ensuring that the edges are sealed. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and bake in the oven (Gas 7, 220c) for 30 minutes or until nicely browned on the top.
- Serve with peas, gherkins, tartare sauce and crusty French bread and butter.